There are a lot of universities and colleges offering Computer Science , Information Technology and Information Systems as a course in college but which university or college is the best in “computer studies”?. What are the measurements in choosing the best school for computer studies it is based on its popularity, number of students, accreditation, student faculty ratio or many more. Choosing a school for your child can be both exciting and overwhelming. It’s natural to feel ambivalent, though, because this concerns the development of your little one.
Whether you are in the process of selecting a college or are preparing to make the move to big school, you will want to find an educational institution that will best suit your child’s needs. Here are the list of known schools in Computer Studies.
1. De La Salle University – De La Salle University is located on 2401 Taft Avenue Malate Manila, DLSU produces a lot of prominent alumni. In the latest QS ranking world university ranking DLSU currently ranks 700 – 750 in 2017 . It adopts a methodology that consists of 6 indicators: academic reputation (40%), employer reputation (10%), student-to-faculty ratio (20%), citations per faculty (20%), international faculty ratio (5%), international student ratio (5%). In the field of Computer Studies the DLSU College of Computer Studies resides in Gokongwei Hall of DLSU and founded in 1981. The College develops experts in computer science, computer engineering, and information technology, equipping its students to become tomorrow’s leaders in industry, academe, and government. The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) program of the college was the first CS program in the country to be accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU). It has earned a Level III accreditation from PAASCU since 2005. The College is also recognized by the Commission on Higher Education as a Center of Excellence (COE) in Information Technology Education in the National Capital Region since 2007. De La Salle University offers a programs in graduate school as it follows. The Master of Science in Computer Science, Information Technology and even a doctoral degree which is Doctor in Information Technology and Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science.
2. Ateneo De Manila University – The Department of Information Systems and Computer Science is a CHED Center of Excellence. It’s Computer Science program is the first and only CS program in the Philippines that has been accredited Level 4 status, the highest level, by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). In the latest QS ranking world university ranking ADMU currently ranks 500 – 550 in 2017 . It adopts a methodology that consists of 6 indicators: academic reputation (40%), employer reputation (10%), student-to-faculty ratio (20%), citations per faculty (20%), international faculty ratio (5%),
3. University of the Philippines – The Department of Computer Science is one of eight
departments in the College of Engineering (COE),University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD). The road to establishing the youngest department in COE started in the mid 1970’s with the institution of the Master of Engineering in Computer Science As one of the departments under the National Graduate School of Engineering (NGSE), the Department of Computer Science (DCS) offers graduate programs in Computer Science both at the masteral and doctorate levels. These programs aim to produce computer scientists who are adaptable to the fast-paced changes in the state-of-the-art of the discipline by grounding them on solid theoretical foundations, exposing them to current and emerging technologies related to computing, and honing their
interpersonal, management and leadership skills. In the latest QS ranking world university ranking UP currently ranks 367 in 2017 . It adopts a methodology that consists of 6 indicators: academic reputation (40%), employer reputation (10%), student-to-faculty ratio (20%), citations per faculty (20%), international faculty ratio (5%), international student ratio (5%).
4. Mapua University – Accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET (www.abet.org) Accredited by the Philippine Information and Computing Accreditation Board (PICAB) Recognized by PACUCOA Level II Re-Accredited Status. Founded in 2000, Mapúa’s School of Information Technology (SoIT) continues to grow as one of the premier IT educational institutions in the country. Throughout the past decade, the school has achieved tremendous success. From a single program of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, it now offers four undergraduate programs, namely, Computer Science (CS), Entertainment and Multimedia Computing (EMC), Information Systems (IS), and Information Technology (IT). In 2011, two of its programs – BS Computer Science and BS Information Technology – were granted accreditation by ABET. Recently, the Commission on Higher Education granted Mapúa, through the School of IT, as a “Center of Excellence in Information Technology Education.” The School of IT is located at 333 Senator Gil J. Puyat Avenue corner Nicanor Garcia Street, Barangay Bel-Air, City of Makati. It has a student population of more than 2,000 under the four bachelor degree programs (CS, EMC, IS, and IT) and two masters program (MS CS and MIT). The campus lobby has four units of 32” LED monitors and two units of 46” LED monitors, where announcements and other important events are posted to keep the students informed and up-to-date. The school is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities to support its programs such as specialized computer laboratories in Cisco and HP-UNIX and one Apple and several Windows computer laboratories. Its library is equipped with a multimedia room, OPAC, and online databases of periodicals, general references among others.
5. University of the East – A CHED-Recognized Center of Development in IT Education. The UE College of Computer Studies and Systems (CCSS) pioneered in the offering of a baccalaureate degree in Computer Science (BSCS) in the University Belt area starting SY 1988-1989. As early as 1984, the University started offering computer courses built into the curriculum of the BS in Business Administration program, both as credit-earning subjects as well as non-degree computer courses. In 1986, the CCSS was still known as the Computer Institute for Studies and Systems (CISS). Its initial offerings up to 1987 were non-degree computer training programs conducted in consortium with the University of the Philippines. UE College of Computer Studies and Systems has grown into a Center of Development (COD) in Information Technology Education for the Calendar Year 2007-2010. The status of COD in Information Technology Education is one of the projects of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), where the main objective is to give recognition to all higher education institutions (HEIs), public and private alike, that offer computer courses and which have demonstrated the highest degree or standards along the areas of instruction, research and extension. Also, two of the programs being offered by the College, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, were granted Level II-First Re-accredited status by the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA) effective October 2007 to October 2012, and First Accredited status by PAASCU, respectively. The CCSS exhibits outstanding capabilities in building linkages with industry and other academic institutions. It provides premium education to its students especially through the College’s tie-ups with three global education partners: (1) with Microsoft Corporation, the CCSS has three partnership agreements: under the Microsoft IT Academy Program (MSITA), the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) and Microsoft Learning (MSL); (2) with Oracle Corporation via the Oracle University and Oracle Academic Initiative (OU-OAI) programs; and (3) with Pearson Education Asia. These tie-ups allow the CCSS to deliver industry-relevant, marketable knowledge and skills to its students—to prepare them for a full-fledged IT career or to equip them with IT acumen that would serve them well in other professions.
6. AMA Computer University – AMA University has earned the following certifications and accreditation from different reputable organizations: Recognized as Center of Development in Information Technology by CHED, ISO 9001:2008 Certified for all programs, PACUCOA Accredited for the following programs:, BS Computer Science (Level IV), BS Information Technology (Level IV). ABET Accredited for the following programs: BS Computer Science, BS Information Technology